Sunday, October 30, 2005

Yesterday, I woke up 3 am to feed my baby daughter and made the mistake of logging online to check a high school football score on the LA Times webpage. In the margin, I saw the headline that broke my foot as my jaw fell on it: "Depodesta to be fired as Dodgers GM."

I literally could not go back to sleep, so irritated and disgusted by what I had read. This has to be your typical LA Times hyperactive hypothesizing, right?

Alas, the headline came to fruition on Saturday afternoon and for reasons still unknown to everyone, Depodesta was fired.

When I say unknown to everyone, I speak from a public sense, as there are obvious forces at work within the Dodger front office. Primarily, it appears old guard flag bearer Tommy Lasorda is fully entrenched in the ear of dee- in-the-headlights owner, Frank McCourt. Knowing Frank's desperation to get approval from the local media and "old school" Dodger fans, Lasorda convinced him that the boy wonder must go. Lasorda knew that Depodesta had zeroed in on Terry Collins as the next manager and hadn't given Hershiser a second thought. Tommy challenged McCourt to take "control" of his own organization back and to thrust himself into the process of selecting a new manager.

Frank and Tommy decided to go behind Depo's back and have dinner with Hershiser, who probably wasn't privy to any of the behind the scenes power struggles that were taking place. Also unbeknownst to him, he was being interviewed for the GM position in addition to the manager position. McCourt probably was even unaware that Hershiser was being interviewed for the GM job because Tommy was now positioning for his "son" (Tommy's words) Bobby Valentine, to take the reigns of the Dodger managerial job. If he could convince McCourt to bypass Depo, getting him to install Valentine would be a piece of cake.

With his foot in the door, Lasorda hammered McCourt on the fact that he was taking a beating from the local media and what better way to restore a positive sheen to his image (as if there was one in the first place) than to get rid of the young GM who polarized fans with unpopular, but by in large effective, personnel decisions. With no one else in his ear to provide a counterpoint, McCourt decided style and good press would be more important than seeing a long-term vision through. In restoring the "Dodger Tradition", McCourt decided to fire Depo and let him find out about it via a reporter before bringing him in to tell him face to face.

McCourt cited the fact that "high expectations" had not been met, which apparently stung more 3 weeks later than they did right after the season ended, as Depo was allowed to run the organizational meetings last week and take the managerial job search as deep as the final cut. When Tommy saw the organization was slipping further and further away from his vision and how he wanted it run, he stuck his nose in and forged a power play that resulted in Depo getting run.

Digression: Let me rewind to late June. As the Dodgers struggled, McCourt and Depodesta were getting hammered mercilessly by the local media and knee-jerk reactionaries who tried to pin the team's failures on McCourt's "cheapness" and Depodesta's "computer" while ignoring the ridiculous amount of injuries that the team had piled up. I guessed (correctly) McCourt's email address and wrote him the following email:

Mr. McCourt,
I wanted to thank you for the outstanding job you have done with the organization since taking it over. It is great to have the Dodgers as a family owned business again. I'm glad you are ignoring the skeptics and criticism and hopefully people will be able to start using their own minds instead of relying on 4th rate writers in newspapers to tell them what to think. Keep up the good work.
John Scanlan
Dodger Fan for all 31 years of my life


To my surprise, his secretary wrote me back and told me McCourt wanted to speak with me on the phone. We had about a 15 minute conversation where he thanked me for my support and compared Depodesta's vision to that of Branch Rickey when he broke the color barrier. He seemed to genuinely want to do well and did not come across as condescending in the least bit. I felt great about our chat and came away convinced the Dodgers were headed in the right direction under his ownership.

Then came yesterday.

Now I am convinced that while he has good intentions (the path to hell is paved with them), McCourt is in over his head and his sugar high style of quick reward and good feelings over long-term health lead me to believe that he must go. While I was with him up until yesterday, I cannot endorse an owner who feels it is better to be lauded by Bill Plaschke than it is to stick to the long-term vision of a bright young executive. McCourt is officially the high school slut who so desperately seeks the approval of everyone, he sleeps with them to gain their favor. And we all know how that girl turns out.

Henceforth, I will update this blog with various Dodger news and thoughts while keeping an eye on McCourt and both his fumblings and successes.

6 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, Blogger Rob said...

The real disappointment is that Dodger Blues hasn't said anything about it yet.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger John said...

I ultimately want the Dodgers to win. They should win next year and I will enjoy it. However, the prospects of any type of long-term success seem bleaker after yesterday. This organziation was on the cusp of a sustained period of playoff appearances. Now, potentially with a gunslinger who will play fast and loose with the prospects and overcompensate to "prove" they deserve the job, I'm resigned to mediocre periods of 3-5 years at a time.

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Chris Dyce II said...

I enjoyed reading your blog and I'll check in whenever you've got something new.

I think the Dodgers are going through tough times right now due to ownership that aren't true fans and are very thin-skinned.

Paul DePodesta is one of the smartest men in baseball and Billy Beane even admitted it. Paul made some moves that I questioned (trading LoDuca, Drew, Perez & Penny to long term deals) but as you said the McCourts said they were committed to him and they cut his deal short.

Even though I'm an Angel fan I want to see the Dodger franchise succeed and be handled respectively. I don't like hearing that LaSorda & McCourt were having discussions about the franchise and DePodesta is left out. That's un-Dodger like and even LaSorda needs to be scolded.

Thanks for the insight and the insider info about the Dodgers.

 
At 12:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to checking out your blog too. Hearing that Depo got fired hit me like a soccer ball to the groin.

Like you, I always gave Mccourt the benefit of the doubt. Now there is no doubt that Mccourt is the wrong guy to control Dodgers.

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you sent him another email. Wonder how anxious he'd be to talk to you now.

I've tried my best to believe Frank McCourt is just a harmless bumbler but now it's become clear that he is not just completely incompetent and easily manipulated, but he's also a bold-faced liar with no conscience or integrity. I await Pat Gillick's reign and the trading of all our young pitchers for the Torii Hunters of the world.

I was seven years old when the Dodgers won the World Series. I didn't even know who Kirk Gibson was, let alone that he had hobbled off the bench and delivered the most memorable moment in Dodgers history. I watched the highlight film with my father all offseason and became a fan in 1989. I've known nothing but mediocrity and heartbreak as a Dodger fan. Lasorda and McCourt like to talk about how they're restoring the Dodger Way. Based on my lifelong experience, they've taken a huge step towards doing that.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger BlueMamma said...

Oh boy, another Dodger blog to put in my bookmarks folder. This is one I know I can read every day and not get mad at, because I'm sure I'll agree with every word.

I became a fan recently, post-Lasorda, so he's not the kind of sacred-cow figure to me that he is to many. I have yet to see something positive about him. What's the big deal? I don't get the fascination with the guy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home